Decolonizing the Anti-Violence Movement and Domestic Violence Awareness Month Reading List.
Week 3: Free Marissa, VAWA, and How Anti-Violence Backfires
1. #DecolonizeSAAM Week 2: Carcerality and Militarism http://save-wiyabi-project.tumblr.com/post/81986752616/decolonizesaam-week-2-carcerality-and-militarism
2. Marissa Alexander and Mass Incarceration Through Domestic Violence Laws https://storify.com/ChiefElk/marissa-alexander-and-mass-incarceration-through-d
3. No Selves To Defend: A Curriculum for Marissa Alexander Teach-In http://www.usprisonculture.com/blog/2013/09/27/no-selves-to-defend-a-curriculum-for-marissa-alexander-teach-in/
4. On Marissa Alexander and the Politics of Defenseless Defense http://www.usprisonculture.com/blog/2014/02/11/guest-post-on-marissa-alexander-and-the-politics-of-defenseless-defense/
5. Making Connections: Domestic Violence <-> Mass Incarceration http://www.freemarissanow.org/october-action.html
6. “The Perfect Victim” A Film About Criminalizing Women Who Fight Back http://www.usprisonculture.com/blog/2013/10/12/the-perfect-victim-a-film-about-criminalizing-women-who-fight-back/
7. Summer School: #AbuserDynamics - Free Marissa, IVAWA, and the state https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEkvdN0HJVc
8. When anti-violence backfires http://www.salon.com/2012/06/02/when_anti_violence_backfires/
9. The Protection Battered Spouses Don’t Need http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/opinion/07iyengar.html?_r=0
10. The Cost of Mandatory Arrest: 600 Lives a Year http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-cost-of-mandatory-arrest-600-lives-a-year-106884073.html
11. Who’s Failing Whom: A Critical Look At Failure-To-Protect Laws http://www.thelizlibrary.org/liz/fugate.pdf
12. Failure to Protect Laws: Protecting Children or Punishing Mothers? http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/561281
13. An Evaluation of No-Drop Policies: Two Central Values In Conflict https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/199719.pdf
14. VAWA: A Victory for Women - But Which Women? http://inthesetimes.com/article/14668/vawa_a_victory_for_womenbut_which_women#.UTIkcq99RK0.twitter
15. VAWA - A Black Feminist Dissent http://computerblu.tumblr.com/post/38322273971/vawa-a-black-feminist-dissent
16. Gender violence and the prison industrial complex http://www.incite-national.org/page/incite-critical-resistance-statement
17. My Exile from the Anti-Rape & the Anti-Domestic Violence Fileds http://www.usprisonculture.com/blog/2012/05/14/my-exile-from-the-anti-rape-the-anti-domestic-violence-fields/
18. Police domestic violence nearly twice average rate http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Police-domestic-violence-nearly-twice-average-rate-2536928.php
19. Letter to the Anti-Rape Movement http://carceralfeminism.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/lettertoantirapemovement.pdf
20. Restraining orders often slowly or rarely served http://khon2.com/2013/05/22/restraining-orders-often-slowly-or-never-served-2/
21. Policing Gender http://incite-national.org/page/policing-gender
22. Domestic Violence Awareness Month: Black and Native Women http://www.gradientlair.com/post/65348109628/chief-elk-black-native-women-domestic-violence
23. Arrested Justice at the Experimental Station http://save-wiyabi-project.tumblr.com/post/90087837286/arrested-justice-at-the-experimental-station
24. Protecting Native Mothers and Their Children: A Feminist Lawyering Approach http://web.wmitchell.edu/law-review/wp-content/uploads/Volume40/documents/3.pdf
25. A Victim-Centered Approach To Domestic Violence Against Native Women (Resource Guide For Drafting and Revising Tribal Laws Against DV); http://www.tribal-institute.org/download/DV_Code_Resource_Feb_08.pdf
Native Women and State Violence https://www.socialjusticejournal.org/SJEdits/98Edit.html
When Prison Abolition Was A Feminist Concern http://www.usprisonculture.com/blog/2013/05/13/when-prison-abolition-was-a-feminist-concern/
26. Feminism and Abolition Lecture with Angela Davis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ieCAUWGnM
27. Repeal Mandatory Minimums: A Racial Justice & Domestic Violence Issue http://www.freemarissanow.org/repeal-mandatory-minimums.html
28. Stop Law Enforcement Violence Toolkit http://incite-national.org/page/stop-law-enforcement-violence-toolkit
29. To Stop Gender Violence, Start Changing The Tune http://www.connectnyc.org/docs/To_Stop_Gender_Violence_-_Andrea_Smith.pdf
Ice Rider Crosses World’s Oldest Lake
French photographer Matthieu Paley is the person behind this almost unbelievable photo called Ice Rider. It was taken in Siberia.
"A bird’s eye view of Lake Baikal, the world’s largest fresh water lake," writes Paley on his website. “During winter the ice is up to 1.5 metres thick, allowing trucks and animals to cross safely. The white lines are cracks in the ice and as temperatures change these emit loud shuddering noises, reinforcing the eerie atmosphere.”
Lake Baikal holds many titles. It’s not only the world’s oldest lake at 25 million years old, it’s also the deepest and among the most clearest lakes in the world. For almost five months a year, it’s covered with ice.
Paley just came out with a new book called Pamir: Forgotten on the Roof of the World. The images, taken over the last 10 years, show the rarely photographed world of the less than 1,000 Kyrgyz. They’re a small group of people who live in Afghanistan’s Pamir mountains, who are practically cut-off from the rest of the world.
DON’T REMOVE THE CREDIT, PLEASE
"fat girls shouldn’t—"
—have to deal with your narrow minded bullshit.
These bits of bedroom advice are from Desireé Dallagiacomo and Kaycee Filson’s poem, “Real Sex Tips,” performed at the summer 2014 National Poetry Slam.